Denon DJ Forums

Problem with Flash memories and some MP3s reading

Engine-powered flagship single deck controller and player from Denon DJ

Problem with Flash memories and some MP3s reading

Postby djnemo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:37 pm

Hi dear Denon Friends,

Can you help me with this problem?

I updated firmware 1030 to 1050.

When I copy MP3s from PC to FlashDisk, some Flash´s have problem with reading in SC3900. After connecting to SC3900, loading takes so long, that serching MP3s in Flash is impossible.
i think that this problem go together with high capacity Flash Memory (i used 8GB USB key) .
When I use 2GB USB key, not problem. Both are formated with FAT32.
I want buy 320GB Verbatim 2.5´, but at first I have to solve this problem. (Dealer for Slovakia said me, that it was tested before sale within presentation, and no problem with high capacity memory. But he used HDD not Flash USB. I don´t know, if this difference is a problem).

Second problem is with reading some MP3 files. Some it read, and some not, and I don´t know, why. On display show me "Can´t open".

I send link for one song from slovak author Ego. This MP3 certainly don´t function.
Please can somebody test in his SC3900?

http://www.edisk.cz/en/download/62173/E ... .78MB.html

Thank you for answer and help.
djnemo

Type of DJ: Mobile DJ

Re: Problem with Flash memories and some MP3s reading

Postby DJ_Double_A » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:38 am

djnemo wrote:i used 8GB USB key

What is the make/model of these thumbs?

Second problem is with reading some MP3 files. Some it read, and some not, and I don´t know, why. On display show me "Can´t open".

\/ \/ \/
What specs should my MP3 and WAVE files be?
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=10147
DJ_Double_A

Type of DJ: Bar / Club DJ

Postby DJ Hessler » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:17 am

Try to reformat your Flashdrives (Fat 32) and name them just ome letter nothing else.

Also, do you have the latest 1050 SW in your SC3900's??

I use Sandisk Ultra Backup 64GB I have four of them and they work with no issues (Mac)

(I also had the "can't read issue but I had some folders with more than 150files
and when I saw to it that I did not + the 1050 update
there were no "can't read" and my SC3900's + Engine + Macbook Pro works just fine :-)

I hope that this is of some help.

//DJ Hessler
DJ Hessler

Postby djnemo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:30 am

Hello DJ Hessler,

thank you for answer.

Is the problen, when I have all songs directly on Flash without folders?

I then used folders with max 50 MP3 files, but same problem.

I try use help from dj double A about MP3 specs.

Thanks, bye. :)
djnemo

Postby D33p » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:39 am

djnemo wrote:When I copy MP3s from PC to FlashDisk, some Flash´s have problem with reading in SC3900. After connecting to SC3900, loading takes so long, that serching MP3s in Flash is impossible.
i think that this problem go together with high capacity Flash Memory (i used 8GB USB key) .
When I use 2GB USB key, not problem. Both are formated with FAT32.

Most likely, capacity is not the problem but USB sticks differ A LOT in read/write speed.
I'm using Corsair Flash Voyager 8GB sticks for quite some time and never had a problem.

I want buy 320GB Verbatim 2.5´, but at first I have to solve this problem

Many external USB drives draw more current than the SC3900 can handle. As pointed out many times on the forum, you should buy an external drive that comes with its own power supply.

I send link for one song from slovak author Ego. This MP3 certainly don´t function.
Please can somebody test in his SC3900?
http://www.edisk.cz/en/download/62173/E ... .78MB.html

I downloaded and checked your file with MP3val:
Code: Select all
WARNING: "Ego-feat.-Robert-Burian-zijeme-Len-Raz.mp3" (offset 0x10a1): MPEG stream error, resynchronized successfully

This file is definitely not 100% OK. I suggest that you download MP3val, let it correct the error, try the corrected file again on your SC3900 and report back.

Regards,
D33p
D33p

Postby Katankya » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:51 am

I also have a problem with my flash memories.
I had this kind of problem since I bought my 3900 in early summer. I used a Sony flash memory. Members of this forum said to me that I had to use different brands, so I used also Verbatin, kingston, and so on without good results. My last chanche was an expensive SANDISK thumbdrive but it also do not work properly.

The problem:

Sometime my master deck becomes slow in loading songs and track name scrolling on the screen. My slave deck reads only the half of my library. When I select one of those files the deck freezes and the playing masterdeck also freezes (slow-down and stop).

All the thumbdrives that I used were FAT formatted using the deck. The issue happens with router but also with direct link.
The amount of files that freezes my setup augmentet dramatically after the v1040 --> v1050 update.
This happens with all the different usb brand that I own... This problem is "killing" me... I can't actually use my players in front of a crowd...
Katankya

Postby DjEric » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:34 am

I have similar problems with my new decks using a Verbatim 2TB disk.

Some times the deck is freezing and some times it is only playing 10 seconds of any track and then stops.
Restarting the deck solves the problem until next flipout.

I have now renamed the disk with a short name with uppercase letters only "MUSIC"
and scanned the mp3 files for corruption with "mp3val". (http://mp3val.sourceforge.net/)
It feels more stable now but I have not tested for a longer period.
DjEric

Postby D33p » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:05 pm

Katankya wrote:Sometime my master deck becomes slow in loading songs and track name scrolling on the screen. My slave deck reads only the half of my library. When I select one of those files the deck freezes and the playing masterdeck also freezes (slow-down and stop).

It's hard to believe that so many different USB devices do not work, so I suspect that the problem is coming from somewhere else. I recall having some problems with a certain Transcend USB 3.0 stick, but after switching back to the Corsair Flash Voyagers USB 2.0 I used before, these problems were gone.

- What happens if you use the USB device on each of the players stand-alone)? Is scolling/finding tracks OK then?
- I had a problem that MIGHT be related to yours: After updating engine from 1.02 to 1.03, I added some files to the DB and exported the set to a USB stick. I encountered all kinds of problems (e.g. "can't load...", missing waveforms that were there before, etc.). I suspected the USB stick to be defective and chose another one -- same problem.
Then I decided to recreate the master DB (which of course took some time) and the problem went away.

I have some other ideas, PM me if you like.

Regards,
D33p
D33p

Postby djyg » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:25 pm

hi just telling you i try my self a lot of things about usb stick and everything ... i am dj for 29 years !!! in march i buy some 3900 in montreal and 3 days later i return it freeze problem slow down try to fix mp3 with scan repair nothing change try everything possible and i use only usb stick like old school without laptop i think i try all i can do so i know what you mean . i am waiting to see if this problem gonna get fix !!! some friends got some 3900 and they still in the box for 8 months now because of this problem they can not do gigs live !! they worry about freeze ! we are beta tester i talk to a lot of people and the only people who don't have problem is the people who use it with serato scatch live !!!!
djyg

Postby djyg » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:34 pm

if you like look back close to march and april you will see a lot of discussion me and denon about this and nobody can give me answer at denon !! they always said is the user but yesterday i was again in the store again to check if things change and my seller rep was there and they freeze and slow down in is face !!! : :shock:
djyg

Postby DENON » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:11 pm

DjEric wrote:I have similar problems with my new decks using a Verbatim 2TB disk.

Some times the deck is freezing and some times it is only playing 10 seconds of any track and then stops.

I have now renamed the disk with a short name with uppercase letters only "MUSIC"
and scanned the mp3 files for corruption with "mp3val". (http://mp3val.sourceforge.net/)

Thanks Eric.
How about using v1050 firmware?
Also better than before?

Welcome to the forum.
DENON
** The main man **

Type of DJ: Producer / Remixer

Postby Katankya » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:55 pm

D33p wrote:
- What happens if you use the USB device on each of the players stand-alone)? Is scolling/finding tracks OK then?

In standalone everyting is faster, but there still is some skipping in name scrolling. This is more evident in my brandnew (and highly recommended by some users) SANDISK thumbdrive. Kingston (highly not recommended by some forum users) is a little bit faster and shows less "title scrolling" skipping.

What I'm doing at the moment is use the players in standalone (one usb thumbdrive per deck). It is not the best solution when using engine on an ipad because I also have to switch the thumbdrive where I'm looking for the songs. People that are using 3 deck or more have then to choose the deck before the song.
But, because denon offers the possibility to link two (or more) players I expect that this function works as it should work.

I remind that all my mp3+AAC are WITHOUT DRM and are all legally downloaded/ripped by CD.
It looks like only a little combination of a lot of factors leads the sc3900 + engine setup to work properly.
-Why is this combination not mentionned on the user manual?
-Why the decks are not enoug performant to share one usb thumb drive even if it is a normal function?
-Because apparently only few flash memories works well with the decks, why denon does not establish a list of the brand and model of these memories?
-Should denon give a 32gb usb thumbdrive (that works guaranteed) in every sc2900-3900 box as a "gift"? People that use larger libraries can still use them as "backup". In this case, the great part of the users can use these decks without (big) problems
Katankya

Postby DjEric » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:20 am

DENON wrote:
DjEric wrote:I have similar problems with my new decks using a Verbatim 2TB disk.

Thanks Eric.
How about using v1050 firmware?
Also better than before?

Welcome to the forum.

I have now done some smaller stress tests and it is not hard to get problem.
The hanging of playback of USB songs is worse with v1050 but the annoying pause when scratching at the beginning of the track is gone.

Here are a clip of one of the bugs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I65O063bi5M

The USB-disk are located at deck 1 and the filmed playback are done at deck 2 linked to deck 1.
Crash when pressing Cue and then select prev. song.
It then show "Can't open" and selects Deck 1:s selected folder of the USB-disk.

(As a former software/firmware designer/tester I feel that these faults shoud be relatively easy to locate and solve)
DjEric

Postby Katankya » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:19 pm

Katankya wrote:What I'm doing at the moment is use the players in standalone (one usb thumbdrive per deck). It is not the best solution when using engine on an ipad because I also have to switch the thumbdrive where I'm looking for the songs.

Ok, I can't do like this anymore... I just noticed that to copy the data of my USB thumbdrive to another one tooks SOOOOOOO LONG (3 GB in 1 hour..., no way).
Katankya

Postby djnemo » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:36 pm

Hi DJs, will you plan give SC3900 back to dealer?

This is very sad, that I bought DJ equipment for ver much money and is very unreliable.

What can I do for return this equipment to get back my money?
djnemo

Postby DjEric » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:04 am

Here is a new video showing a deck hanging:

Restart needed after this to get the deck working again.
I think it is the deck linking that fails and linking is unusable as it is now :cry:
DjEric

Postby DENON » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:37 pm

DjEric wrote:Here is a new video showing a deck hanging:

Sorry for this trouble Eric.
We will continue to improve reported issues based on user input.
Hang tight.
DENON
** The main man **

Type of DJ: Producer / Remixer

Return to SC3900