Denon DJ Forums

***DN-S1200 FAQ** EXCELLENT INFO for 1200 users Please read.

Denons smallest Single CD Deck

***DN-S1200 FAQ** EXCELLENT INFO for 1200 users Please read.

Postby DJ_Double_A » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:23 pm

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This was originally put together and sent to me by board member Billabong. (you can blame him if there are any errors) ;)

========================================================================================================

Billabong wrote:DN-S1200 FAQ
Last updated: June/01/08

Below is a compilation of questions and information gathered from the Denon DJ Forums, and my own personal experiences with the DN-S1200.

Note: Any brand names or websites referenced are for example only. They are not endorsed by Denon or anyone else.

Note 2: This FAQ will be changed as new information is made available, firmware updated, discoveries are made.

Final note: Anything you do, you do at your own risk. So, if you're not sure what you are doing, don't do it.

Thanks to all the forum members (http://www.denondjforums.com) for asking questions, and answering. Thanks to Silvio and DJ_Double_A for continued support. Thanks to ReverendJasen for tips from the 2500 forum.

About the DN-S1200

The new DN-S1200 Compact CD Media Player & Controller is a fully versatile DJ tool
that will succeed the DN-S1000. Compact in size, black in colour and equipped with
remarkable features this player is very competitive and will be a worthy S1000 successor.

The USB connectivity for external storage devices makes it possible to use external
drives like flashmedia, HDD or iPod (with mp3/wav on it).

Any external DJ software with MIDI mapping capabilities can be controlled over the second USB connector, and MIDI messages can be received as well (two-way communication).

The USB 2.0 audio interface processes audio from the computer through the DN-S1200. The sound quality is on highest level, external sound cards are redundant. Cooperation with leading DJ-software brands like SERATO/NATIVE INSTRUMENTS are in the works.

The internal Slot-In drive will play back CDDA CDs, CD-R, & CD-RW.

A touch sensitive 110 mm Jog Disc with pinpoint accurate response and highest jog wheel resolution on the market today will set a new benchmark.

D-Link: connect two players together by RJ45 crossover cable, shared device operation
PS/2 Keyboard connector for easy file navigation
7+1 possible ways to find your MP3/WAV files instantly
Effects: Brake, Dump, Reverse, Echo, Echo Loop, 3-Filters, Flanger
2 Hot Starts, 2 Seamless Loops
24-bit Audio processing for exceptional audio fidelity
Includes Denon DJ Music Manager PC application

F.A.Q.

General:

Q: Can I use slipmats with the 1200?
A: No. It is not the same platter as the 1000. Please do no try to remove the 1200 platter.

Q: Does the 1200 have a motorized platter?
A: No.

Q: What is the latest firmware for the 1200?
A: You can find it here. viewtopic.php?f=41&t=13686

NOTE: To download updates for your Denon decks, you must first join the Denon DJ Club (which is free). http://www.denondj.com/Pages/Home.aspx
Click on the region you live in, and then "Product Registration".

Q: How do I update the firmware for the 1200?
A: You will need to register your deck's serial number and your email address on the Denon website, then you can download the firmware to your computer. You will need a USB drive (any size, even a usb key will work) to load the firmware onto the 1200.

Q: What cable do I need to use D-Link?
A: A CAT5 crossover cable, available at most computer stores/Best Buy/Circuit City.

Here's the difference between a regular cable and a "crossover" cable.

Q: What can I do with D-Link?
A: You can share a keyboard and memo info, as well as use Relay Play.

Q: Does it play MP3 CDs?
A: No, however, you can connect a USB drive and play MP3s from there.

Q: But I already have a bunch of MP3 CDs as backups!
A: One 8GB USB key will hold the same number of MP3s as Eleven (11) MP3 CDs, and it is much more reliable too.

Q: Can I save Memo Points to USB memory?
A: Yes. You can save them from one player and import them to another player.

Q: What is the pitch resolution?
A:
4% = .02
10 & 16% = .05
24 & 50% = .1
100% = 1.

*Please note 50% and 100% pitch is only available with an audio CD.

Q: What about a case for the 1200 & 120 mixer?
A: Odyssey will have a case out for them shortly. The 1000/100 case will work, but you will have to trim some of the foam for a proper fit.

Q: What type of keyboard connection is on the 1200?
A: There is a PS/2 connector for the keyboard. Some USB keyboards with an adapter may work. The Zippy 610 is a popular light-up keyboard that seems to work well with the 1200. Basically, any plain old PS/2 keyboard should work. Fancy ones that require drivers, or wireless keyboards, may not work correctly, and please stay away from ones that have multimedia buttons and internet shortcut keys.

Also, make sure you set the correct keyboard type under Preset Menu of the 1200.

Note: the Zippy 620 will not work!

Q: Will the effects work for CDs and USB drives?
A: Yes, all of the effects are available for both CDs and USB drives.

Q: How does the "Next Track" feature work?
A: While a song is playing, hit the "Next Track" button. Find your next song using the Parameter knob / back-arrow button. Push the knob to select it. At that point, the countdown will begin (based on your Preference setting of 0,3,4,5 seconds), and automatically fade into the song you selected. In other words, if you want more time between your next track, just wait to press the knob. You can, of course, press the Play button to fade it earlier.

There is also the Next Track Auto feature:
-Push the Next Track button while playing
-Then hold down the parameter knob for 2 sec
-Then push the CUE button to start
*This will crossfade to the next track always at -10 sec remain time

Q: Is there a Denon Music Manager for the Mac?
A: Not at this time. However, you can use a virtual PC program to run Windows on your Mac. Use Boot Camp if you have Mac OS X 10.5 or try VirtualBox, http://www.virtualbox.org/.

USB:

Q: What kind of USB drive does the 1200 support?
A: USB thumb/key drives, USB hard drives, iPods (with MP3s or WAV) and media card readers. As long as they conform to USB standards for power (does not draw more than 5V/500mA). For external hard drives, please use their own power supply/plug . People have mentioned that the Kingston Data Traveler brand of thumb drives are hit and miss. Please stay away from that brand.

Q: Can I share a USB drive using D-Link or a USB splitter?
A: No. You will need two USB drives (one for each deck).

Q: What file format is supported using USB drives?
A: WAV and MP3. MP3 supports CBR (Constant Bit Rate) and VBR (Variable Bit Rate). Although with VBR, scanning a song and Quick Jump is not permitted, and you cannot set Memo info either. Might I suggest sticking with CBR files?

Q: Will it play protected / DRM'd files?

Q: Will it play MP4 (m4a) files?

Q: How should my USB drive be formatted?
A: The 1200 will only read a FAT32 formatted drive. NTFS formatted drives will not work. There are several utilities for formatting FAT32 in Windows, such as this one: http://tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/Fat32Formatter/ ... Format.zip or CompuApps SwissKnife.

You can also use the utility built-in to the 1200. ;)

Connect your USB drive.
Press the "Util." button
Scroll to "Initialize", then "USB Format"
(Warning... THIS WILL ERASE EVERYTHING ON THE DISK!)

Q: Does the 1200 support a USB drive with multiple partitions?
A: No, only the first partition will be seen. Any others on the drive will be ignored.

Q: For some reason my iPod/iPhone does not seem to work/connect with the deck...?
A: Depending on the model/generation, some Apple players will not connect due to Apple's closed system. The Apple player must be a "Mass Storage Device". More information can be found at the Apple forums website (do a search for "Mass Storage Device").
https://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

Q: How can I search on a USB drive?
A: There are 8-ways to search:

Artist
Album
Title
Genre
Year
BPM
File name
Folder

*Note: To be able to use the search feature effectively, the ID tag info for the track must be filled out (there are a few different programs out there you can use to do that... like Tag and Rename or Media Monkey). If you don't fill in the tag info, like Album, Year, BPM, ect... then those search options will not be available.

If you are using WAV files instead of MP3's, you can rip edit you WAV files with Draggon Tagger/Ripper (please see the DL link below in the "Tips Continued" section).

When doing a search, the top line will list category, bottom line will list result. You can also connect a keyboard, and type out a search query based on current category (Artist, Title, etc.).

TIP: if you hold down the Parameter knob while you turn it, you can quickly jump by letter (A, B, C... you'll see it on the left side of the display). Pretty cool, huh?

Q: Is there playlist support?
A: Yes, but on a USB device. You must also use the Denon Music Manager software to set up your play lists.

The latest MM update can be found here: http://www.denondjforums.com/forum/inde ... =viewforum
(look under the "Announcements" section near the top)

Note: If you delete the Denon_DJ folder from a drive, you delete your playlists too! So please use caution.

Q: What is the maximum number of files you can store on a USB hard drive for use with the 1200?
A: 50,0000.

Q: Will I need to run my USB drive through the Music Manager before I connect it to the 1200?
A: No, the 1200 can create a "simple" database on the fly. However, to use all of the search features as mentioned above (Artist, Title Year, Genre, etc), it is recommended to create the "full" database with Music Manager. It will also verify your MP3's to make sure they are compatible with the 1200.

Q: How many USB drives can I connect at once?
A: Only one (1) USB drive can be connected to the 1200. You cannot use a USB hub. Please, do not use a USB hub. I can't stress this enough, NO USB hubs with the 1200. The same goes for the 3700 (no hubs).

The 5500 and 2500 on the other hand can use a wall powered hub to increase the hard/thumb drive support to 4 drives, or 3 drives and a keyboard).

Q: What is that other square-looking USB port for?
A: PC MIDI connection (see below).

PC MIDI mode:

Q: What software can I use with the 1200 in PC MIDI mode?
A: Any software that supports MIDI control.

Some of them are: Traktor, PCDJ DEX, PCDJ Reflex, Virtual DJ, Serato, Torq and RPM. PCDJ DEX has "native" support (others will follow), meaning you will not have to map out what buttons on the 1200 control the program (play/cue, brake, pitch, etc). Of course if you are handy in mapping, you are more than welcome to make your own custom map.

Btw, many of these DJ programs listed above have demos to download and try, which is highly suggested. That way you can see which one you like best.

Note: Effects and functions on the 1200 do not work in PC MIDI mode. You can only control the software (and the effects the software has built into it) on your computer with the 1200.

Q: How does the display work in PC MIDI mode?
A: The display can show info from the computer in MIDI mode if it is supported by the software. Currently, PCDJ DEX will display track info on the 1200. Hopefully other will follow suit.

Q: How do I get my Virtual DJ/PCDJ/Traktor/etc software to recognize the 1200s?
A: You must first load the Denon ASIO driver (on the CD that came with your 1200) onto your computer. You will also need two USB cables (not supplied), one for each 1200.
Under the Preset Menu for the 1200, set one deck to MIDI channel 1 (MIDI CH SET), then set the Unit Number (Unit No Set) to 1.

Set the other 1200 to MIDI channel 2, then set the Unit number to 2.
For example, I set my left deck to "1" and my right deck to "2"
Once you have that set, then connect both decks to your computer.
After they are connected, go to the #1 deck, and pick "PC" as the source.
Wait for successful connection.
Do the same for the #2 deck.

You can click on the Denon ASIO icon to check to make sure they are enabled.

Once the hardware is set, start up your DJ software.
You will have to configure your software for both sound output, and MIDI input.
It is different for all software, so please check your program's manual or website for specific instructions.
They do not have to be connected via D-Link for PC MIDI mode

To make sure you are using the correct ASIO driver, please see the ASIO Drivers thread.

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=11486

Tips:

Some external hard drives have a sleep mode, in which they shut down after a period of inactivity. Most manufactures (like Maxtor, Western Digital, ect...) have a utility program to change it or disable it completly. It is highly recommended you do this.

Many users have mentioned that they have had problems with Seagate drives, so it's suggested that you use a different brand.

Please use a wall powered USB drive with the deck. Do not rely on the deck's USB power to supply enough power to your external drive.

If at anytime your external drive exceeds the deck's max power/amp rating, the drive may disconnect itself from the deck and you will see "No Device" on the deck's screen. That is why Denon suggests to use a wall powered USB drive instead of a USB powered one.

Getting your MP3s tagged correctly takes time, but the end results are well worth it.

Tips Continued:

What Specs should my MP3 and WAV files be?

You will get a error message or a "Can't open File" error code if:

The file is not 44.1khz
    The file is encrypted
    The file has large album art in it
    The file is mono instead of stereo or joint stereo
    ACC/AIFF files are not supported.

More info about MP3/WAV file compatibility can be found in this thread:

http://www.denondjforums.com/forum/inde ... =viewtopic

Also, to help clean up your ID3 tags you can use Tag & Rename or Media Monkey.
T&R can be used to look for non 44.1 files, and files with large album art in it.
T&R also makes searching much easier.

http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm

You will have to change a few options first, to ensure optimal compatibility:
\/ \/ \/
Go to 'Options -- Tags'
Uncheck "Write unicode data into ID3v2 tags"
Go to "Advanced"
Underneath "On saving ID3v2 tag:" select "Delete ID3v1 tag" (thanks RevJasen for the tip)

Fixing things like spelling errors (ie "Chris Brown" vs "Cris Brown"), removing extra spaces or punctuation, and also having the basic ID tags like Title, Artist, Genre, Year, and BPM filled in correctly will make searching easier and faster.

Backup your master MP3/WAV library. Then, back that up. Take that backup to a secured location, like a missile silo, or a safe deposit box. You do not want to re-rip 1,000's of CDs again do you? Make sure to update your backup MP3/WAV library regularly.

Yes, you will need two USB drives when using two 1200s (and the 3700). I found that even if you copy one drive to the other, you will have to run MM to rebuild the database on the new copy to make sure there are no DB errors.

If you delete the Denon_DJ folder from a drive, you also delete your playlists too. Please use caution!

If you are going to use WAV files, use Audio Grabber or Dragon Ripper to rip them. Use Dragon Tagger or Denon Music Manager to tag them.

Dragon Tagger/Ripper: http://www.ultraselectsoftware.com

===================================================================================================

Some useful info:

Devices that work with the 1200 (as tested by forum members & other brave souls).

USB drives:

SanDisk Cruzer 4GB Model SDCZ6-4069RB
Maxtor One Touch 4 Mini 160GB (*will have to change the default shutdown time, default is 5 minutes and the drive powers off).
Western Digital Passport 160GB Model WD1600ME-01 and model WD1600XMS-00 (but you should use a power plug with the drive)
Western Digital My Book Premium 750GB and 1TB
Iomega Zip 250 USB drive (why? it was laying around & USB, so I had to try)

Note: If you plan on using an external harddrive, make sure it has it's own power supply. Do not rely on the deck's USB plug to supply the necessary power for your external HD. The deck's USB connection can only output 5V/500mA, and if the external hard drive you choose exceeds that rating, you may have a problem with the drive registering or staying connected.

Likewise for USB thumbdrives. As long as the one you use does not exceed 5V/500mA, there shouldn't be any problems.

Keyboards:

Zippy EL 610 (a lot of people use this model)
Roll-up illuminated keyboard, http://www.usbgeek.com/prod_detail.php?prod_id=0618
Bright yellow PS/2 keyboard I bought at a swap-meet for $3.00.
Dell PS/2 keyboard, model RT7D20
Keyboards that have extra "stuff" (like volume controls or multimedia/email/internet buttons) should be avoided.
DJ_Double_A

Type of DJ: Bar / Club DJ

Re: ***DN-S1200 FAQ***

Postby DENON » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:39 pm

Great Job!
DENON
** The main man **

Type of DJ: Producer / Remixer

Postby chriskb » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:59 pm

I have one more question, the DENON DN-S1200 will read folders? and with this question i mean, a tree of folders. I.E. I have a pendrive with a lot of folders for "genres" in that folder i have more folders with the "artist name" and inside the artists folders i have the tracks, if i search for Artist in the denon, will look inside all that folders and returns the results? or only will search on ROOT ?

Thx!
chriskb

Postby DENON » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:12 pm

chriskb wrote:I have one more question, the DENON DN-S1200 will read folders? and with this question i mean, a tree of folders. I.E. I have a pendrive with a lot of folders for "genres" in that folder i have more folders with the "artist name" and inside the artists folders i have the tracks, if i search for Artist in the denon, will look inside all that folders and returns the results? or only will search on ROOT ?

Thx!

Yes, will read Folder structure
DENON
** The main man **

Postby chriskb » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:26 am

Thx! I alrdy order my pair of denon dn-s1200, hope they come here soon!
chriskb

Postby DJ_Double_A » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:57 pm

Great Job!

Thank Billabong. :wink:

(all I did was clean it up a bit, add in some pretty colours, and modify/change the fonts sizes... oh, and I also added in a couple of links to the ones he already supplied) :mrgreen:
DJ_Double_A

Postby Billabong » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:16 am

Thanks guys. I hope this helps!
Nice job on cleaning it up & the colors Double_A. Thank you!

Also, if anyone is using USB hard drives / thumb drives, or PS/2 keyboards, either PM me, or reply to this thread so others will know what works, or doesn't work.
Billabong

Postby DJ_Double_A » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:38 pm

Nice job on cleaning it up & the colors Double_A. Thank you!

It took me a while to make it look "good"....... and, you're welcome. ;)
DJ_Double_A

Postby DENON » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:18 pm

DJ_Double_A wrote:Thank Billabong.

Thats who I was taking to :mrgreen:
DENON
** The main man **

Postby bongiovim » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:32 pm

Billabong wrote:Also, if anyone is using USB hard drives / thumb drives, or PS/2 keyboards, either PM me, or reply to this thread so others will know what works, or doesn't work.

I use two PNY Attache 8 GB USB keys and they work fine.

You already have the link I provided for the roll up illuminated keyboard I use that works and the note that the Zippy EL-620 did not work.
bongiovim

Postby MP29 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:23 pm

Hi every1...

today ive received 2 kick ass 1200s :):)YAY!!!!:):)
finally i decided to add cd to the mixin,,instead of only the expencive vynils :)

I'm a total noob here on the cdplayer thingie, plz dont take it badly if im asking stupid questions lol.
I was looking thru the manual and the first shock was that i cant connect my 500gb NFTS harddrive (its a LaCie)(damnnnnn hehehe).... need fat32... will that be forever?

----Who can advise me on a brand of external HD i should buy, or shouldnt?, to use with the denon 1200?

----Is it handy to make a fat32 HD only with only music, or can i also connect a HD with other stuff on it next to mp3s? (iso files photos that stuff) all filed ofcorz..
meaning, will the cdplayer run smoothly when theres more than Mp3s on the HD?

----another thing is "firmware",, what does that mean?
the player is not also like a pc orso? hmmmm
im amazed.

now ive been reading online bout the 1200 ,i saw some thing in the text about some "update" too,, if its right what i saw, about after the update it will be able to read nfts,,, hmmm i read that on the net somewhere but cant recall...
Can the cd player do that??? or am i talkin sh*t lol.

"D-link cable",, isnt that a normal internet cable?
or do i really need a special one?
if yes, can some1 plz tell me what i need?

thnx every1 whoever replies in advance :)

MP29
MP29

Postby DJ_Double_A » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:27 pm

MP29 wrote:I was looking thru the manual and the first shock was that i cant connect my 500gb NFTS harddrive (its a LaCie)(damnnnnn hehehe).... need fat32...

Remove all your music from that drive... format it to FAT 32... transfer all your music back to the drive.... run Music Manager to make a database.... have fun. If you have any problems, post away.

will that be forever?

Fat 32 only. It allows us to save memo/cue points.

NTFS is a "closed" Micro$oft system that doesn't allow us to do that outside of Windows.

Who can advise me on a brand of external HD i should buy, or shouldnt?, to use with the denon 1200?

I would stay away from any external drive/case that require drivers. Make sure it has a USB 2.0 connection on it (I would stay away from ones with a Firewire connection). Also make sure the external drive you pick comes with it's own power supply/plug, and always use that power supply/plug instead of the power supplied from the deck's USB port.

Is it handy to make a fat32 HD only with only music, or can i also connect a HD with other stuff on it next to mp3s? (iso files photos that stuff) all filed ofcorz..
meaning, will the cdplayer run smoothly when theres more than Mp3s on the HD?

Music only. (the deck can not show pictures or videos, so you should leave those things off the drive)

another thing is "firmware",, what does that mean?
the player is not also like a pc orso? hmmmm
im amazed.

As new features and or bug fixes are made available, the deck can be upgraded very quickly and easily via software.

now ive been reading online bout the 1200 ,i saw some thing in the text about some "update" too,, if its right what i saw, about after the update it will be able to read nfts,,, hmmm i read that on the net somewhere but cant recall...
Can the cd player do that??? or am i talkin sh*t lol.

Again... FAT 32 only.

"D-link cable",, isnt that a normal internet cable?
or do i really need a special one?
if yes, can some1 plz tell me what i need?

You need to get a "crossover" cable. They look very similar to other cables, but the way the wires are connected/flipped on the end are different on the crossover cable. Most good computer stores should have them in stock. Make sure you ask for a crossover cable, or else they may sell you a regular one.

thnx every1 whoever replies in advance :)

MP29

Your welcome.

Btw, in the future, please try reading some of the "sticky" threads we have in the various forums (as well as the regular threads in those forums). Most of your questions have already been answered before (some are even answered up above in the 1200 FAQ). ;)

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
DJ_Double_A

Postby MP29 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:09 am

Cool ,, its all noted and ill get it all tomorrow.
,, ty DJ_Double_A :)
MP29

Postby MP29 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:34 am

ok, bought an external HD with own powersupply,, fat32,, with this i first updated both the dns1200s into the latest firmware, both with succes.
now i deleted the update file off the HD and filled it with 5gb of music, just to test ofcorz.
now i plug the HD in one of the players, source > usb > create DB, and then its starts to create , and the % goes upwards,, only it stops at "Create 45.1%",, the parameter knob's light flashes, and on the screen the red USB light flashes....
... and nothing happens.

im sure the fat32 works coz i did the update from the same hd, so i can assume it can read the hd.

does creating a DB take hours?
anyone recognize my problem?

and one thing i cant find in the manual;
how can i safely remove a usb HD or whatever from the USB port on the player?

ty in advance :)

MP
MP29

Postby DENON » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:35 am

MP29 wrote:ok, bought an external HD with own powersupply,, fat32,, with this i first updated both the dns1200s into the latest firmware, both with succes.
now i deleted the update file off the HD and filled it with 5gb of music, just to test ofcorz.
now i plug the HD in one of the players, source > usb > create DB, and then its starts to create , and the % goes upwards,, only it stops at "Create 45.1%",, the parameter knob's light flashes, and on the screen the red USB light flashes....
... and nothing happens.

im sure the fat32 works coz i did the update from the same hd, so i can assume it can read the hd.

does creating a DB take hours?
anyone recognize my problem?

and one thing i cant find in the manual;
how can i safely remove a usb HD or whatever from the USB port on the player?

ty in advance :)

MP

Turn the power oFF and create the DB using the Music Manager application on your PC, it will be faster.
DENON
** The main man **

Postby MP29 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:49 am

hmm i havt thought of that, ty :wink: , but thats only to make the DB i hope?
coz i got all my music on HDs, and not on my pc.

thnx for the fast reply !!
MP29

Postby MP29 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:45 am

oh im there, ty, it goes so fast :)
yay
MP29

Postby LAZ » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:04 am

Maxtor One Touch 4 Mini 160GB (*will have to change the default shutdown time, default is 5 minutes and the drive powers off).

How do I adjust the Power Setting on my OneTouch 4 Drive?

1. Double-click the Maxtor Manager icon on your Desktop. The Maxtor Manager Opens.
2. Click on the Settings button. The Settings window opens.
3. Click Adjust Power Setting Button. The Adjust Power Setting window opens.
4. By default, an OneTouch 4 Lite/Plus will spin down afterr 15 minutes of inactivity; An OneTouch 4 Mini will spin down after 5 minutes of inactivity. Click on the time field to select an inactivity period. Click Apply.
5. A Window opens notifying you that the power setting has been changed. Click OK to return to the Settings window.
LAZ

Next

Return to DN-S1200